Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 in Brief

2008 – Certainly a year to remember - simply because it was so much better than 2007, which was a bad one for sure!

Yes - on this New Year’s Eve, I can look back and reflect upon the fact that this time last year we were a lot worse off than we are now. And I’m not saying it couldn’t be better, because it really could. Really!!
But I am no longer that naive immigrant from Africa, struggling to understand new systems and cultures; I am now a naïve immigrant from Africa - still struggling to understand new systems and cultures – but now I own an I-Pod Nano, and have developed an addiction to Starbucks!!

2008 was the year of The Job. After eight long months of rejection upon rejection (figuratively speaking anyway, as I never actually received any rejections per se, just NOTHING!! Nada! Rien!) I finally landed my dream job. At last I was a working girl, with a real job, and a real paycheck. A contributing member of American Society; the indentation in my wallet made by my tax deductions visible proof that I was on my way. Life was good!

Too good apparently!
With one cruel blow (cruel, but not that unusual - I have terrible luck), I was jobless again. Instead of an annual Christmas Party, for which I had dressed with seasonable cheer, my colleagues and I were greeted with the devastating news that the company was closing down with immediate effect.
Now, I understand the economy is in a recession (I am in accounting, after all, and hail from Zimbabwe which holds the record for the world’s highest inflation rate in a country that is not “officially” at war), but PEOPLE!!!!
The week before Christmas????

Needless to say, the Christmas Party was cancelled and I never discovered the identity of my Secret Santa who had very kindly been delivering Guinness Beer and chocolates to my desk all week. (All was to be revealed at the Christmas Party, see?) This disturbs me somewhat, and in the wee hours of the morning when I am lying awake wondering how long it will take to write a bestseller, I find myself wondering which poor bastard ruined my diet.

Anyway, once again I find myself scouring the online jobsites, sifting through all the possible scams, and praying that I am not forwarding my entire life history (and address) to a mass murderer. I figure I’m in a better position this time around, though, and can afford to be a lot pickier. No matter how desperate things get, I have promised myself that I will not sell Tupperware.

And so ends 2008! Hurrah!
Bring it on 2009! I’m ready and waiting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment